MCSCI and Musalaha UK planned to hold a workshop day to apply the Musalaha strategy of reconciliation to a UK context.
The Musalaha strategy was developed to help improve relations between differing people groups in the Middle East, and has received considerable interest.
The UK is not the Middle East. However, we think the strategy is applicable outside of that narrow context.
Dr Salim Munayer (Founder of Musalaha) was due to present part of the event.
What is the “Musalaha strategy”?
The Musalaha strategy is designed to help build or rebuild relationships between different people groups and faith communities. There are many different details and applications, but can be summarised as follows:
- Beginning relationships
- Opening up
- Facing the challenge
- Reclaiming identity
- Committing and returning
- Taking steps
Who is this event for?
- Church leaders who wish to build relationships with the people around their church
- Christians who want to see better relations between themselves and people who seem different
- Any Christian interested in how a different approach to relationships and understanding can ease tensions in disparate communities
We expect that there will be significant demand for this day.
What are its aims?
By the end of the day, the following should have taken place:
- A presentation of the detailed theory of the six-step Musalaha process and where it comes from
- A chance for you to discuss how this might apply in your own setting and context
- Clarification of any uncertainties through a Q&A feedback session
- Setting of a contextualised strategy for the use of the process in the UK through both group discussion and a panel.
- Feedback and an invitation to continue the discussion through a follow-up inter-faith event to be arranged.